Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Joyful Noise: Poems for Two Voices, Newbery Winner 1989


The committee in the 80s must have loved poetry! All I can say is that, as skeptical as I was regarding this book (every poem is about bugs?), I found it to be immensely enjoyable.
I stumbled through the first poem several times, it is almost impossible to read poems for two voices by yourself I discovered. If you are also struggling with these poems I assure you they really are beautiful. Paul Fleischman has even managed to make me care about a wasp, an animal I never thought of as remotely emotional. The secret is sound, these poems must be heard to be enjoyed, you can't just read them yourself, there must be another.
Watch this video to hear for yourself, even though the poems are in a different order than the book.
 
Amazing, isn't it? You just listened to poetry about bugs. I enjoyed this so much more than William Blake's Inn. It was far more aware, and dare I say, emotional. Emotion is the foundation of poetry, something that really came through in this collection. I was pleased to have such a wonderful book to pass the minutes away with, it seems I've been in a bit of a rut with the books being outside of my interest range.

No comments:

Post a Comment