Sunday, May 20, 2012

Sarah, Plain and Tall, Newbery Winner 1986


Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan is an enjoyable little read. It proves that a story does not need to be long to capture the hearts of millions. My copy can in at 64 pages, including the afterword, and the print was actually pretty big. But this little gem is very heartfelt.
A quick note to my readers (I'm just pretending you exist, okay?), I haven't posted in such a long time because I was focusing on schoolwork and other duties. But with summer comes not one, not two, but three jobs that require me to remain near a phone all day but ask me to do little else. What does this mean? Expect the reviews to begin rolling in!
This will be my first summer not spent at home, I thought it would be fitting to start the summer with a book about a woman who leaves her home for the first time and makes a new life in the rolling prairies.
While Sarah missed the sea, I find that I will be missing the mountains. But I have friends to get me through it and I know that ultimately this decision was for the best. This book only took about an hour to read, I think anyone could really enjoy this work. It doesn't try to be exciting, scary, dramatic, romantic, or heartwarming, yet it is all of these things and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment