Thursday, May 24, 2012

The Whipping Boy, Newbery Winner 1987

Another relatively short read, The Whipping Boy by Sid Fleischman, is a fun romp. Of all the Newbery books I've read thus far this is undoubtedly geared towards the youngest age group, similar in length to Sarah, Plain and Tall it lacks the emotional depth of that work.
I have little doubt in my mind that children will enjoy this tale, especially those just old enough to read a chapter book. The adventuresome pace is kept moving along nicely throughout.
While Sid Fleischman has written an excellent commentary for children concerning class distinction in a monarchy, I can't but feel that this work doesn't stack up to the other winners I've read so far. It is a well written book and fun, but it just doesn't seem to have the same literary quality as, say, Julie of the Wolves, Bridge to Terebithia, or Bud, Not Buddy, really any of the books I read so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment