Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Julie of the Wolves, Newbery Winner 1973

Wow! I just finished plowing through this book in four hours, and I've got to say it was worth every minute. One of the places I am really interested in teaching at after I graduate is the Alaskan bush. I reveled in every description of the tundra, animals, and culture of the Yup'ik. I loved the intimate interactions between Julie and the wolf pack, the naturalism of this work is beautiful.
I am a great believer that there is some measure of truth in old customs and this book makes it clear that Jean Craighead George agrees. It was as I read about Julie's acceptance of 'the old Eskimo ways' that I came to adore this book.
I discovered that there were two sequels written for this book that I am now quite anxious to read. Combining nature, survival, new cultures, and coming of age into one novel, Julie of the Wolves, rates as my second favorite Newbery winner thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment