Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Bud, Not Buddy, Newbery Medal 2000

What a charming book! I had never read anything by Christopher Paul Curtis but if his other books are anything like Bud, Not Buddy then I can see why he has won numerous awards. The protagonist is by no means perfect, Curtis has captured a young boy almost perfectly, he is lovable but occasionally naughty. He even has a list of rules for "a funner life and to be a better liar".
I empathised with young Bud and was pleased with the book's resolution. I was even surprised by what happened. I must say that I'm glad the book didn't finish everything up nice and tidy, the end was left, much like life, yet to be decided.
When I first began reading independent level books I read mostly contemporary realistic fiction and historical fiction. I even remember hearing that this book had won an award and thought the idea sounded interesting. So what happened? Well, when I look at the date of the award the answer was clear. In the year 2000 I discovered another genre that would drive my book choice to this day: fantasy. 2000 was the year I first read Harry Potter, unfortunately this book was just a little late for me to have been the target audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment