Sunday, May 12, 2013

Favorite Fictional Mothers

Last year I wrote the hugely popular Favorite Fictional Fathers post for Father's Day, so it is only natural that I would write the companion article for Mother's Day.
Moms are awesome; in fact I come from a long line of mothers... But I'll admit that this lists was hard to make because it can be a little boring to watch/ read about someone being all nurturing. Which is what the really great mothers tend to do. And it is really hard to rank that in a top ten list. So I made the rule that mom cannot have died prior to or during the first half of the work in question (Goodbye Lily Potter), simply for the sake of my sanity. And because fairness should play some role here the mom should play a significant role in raising her child (Goodbye Amy Pond).
And at this point, it looks like I just hate red-heads.
The bar was set really high on this one... So high in fact that after weeks of deliberating only seven characters made the final cut - turns out that it was much easier to find engaging father figures in fiction than mothers. Obviously we have a problem here that needs to be rectified.

7. Muthr (The Secret of WondLa)
Technically Muthr was a robot that had been programmed to care for Eva Nine. But she went beyond her programming to do things for Eva and even went against her programming on occasion. Eva Nine and Muthr share genuine emotion for each other and often make sacrifices for the well being of the other.
6. Perdita/ Missus (101 Dalmatians)
I love both the Disney film and the original books. One thing to note in the popular Disney movie the character of Perdita combines characteristics from the two characters of Perdita and Missus in the book. No matter which one you focus on though you find a mother entirely devoted to her puppies.

 

5. Miss Clavel (Madeline)
Alright she is not technically a mother (we had the same issue on the fathers' list too) but she acts as a mother in addition to teacher to Madeline. I'm of course referring to the 1998 film in which Madeline is written as an orphan. In the books Madeline's parents are alive and well.
 
I love her so much.

4.  Kala (Tarzan)
I've never read Tarzan. I've never seen the classic films. But I have seen the Disney movie and let me be honest, I didn't really like it until this year. I've recently gotten into the habit of listening to Disney songs in Spanish, and, for kicks, I decided to watch the whole movie in Spanish. Let me be clear - I only know a polite amount of Spanish, by no means enough to even begin to hope I would understand what was being said. But what I really noticed was the amazing amounts of emotion put into this movie, and the character that especially drew me in was Kala.

However, if I could I would also use Tarzan's birth mother, but she breaks my rules by not even making it through the first song.

 
Oh look, another red-head that I kicked off the list.

3. Ma Ingalls (Little House on the Prairie)
Caroline Ingalls was right there alongside her husband leading her family into the unfamiliar frontier. She was always the foundation of the home, bringing comfort and faith to her family no matter where they lived.

2. Molly Weasley (Harry Potter Series)
Molly Weasley was one of the best characters in the Harry Potter series. She had seven children of her own plus Harry to watch after. She was written with all the warmth of a real mother, and she can even be just as embarrassing as a real mother at times.
Ha! Red-head!

1. Clair Huxtable (The Cosby Show)
Working hard and raising her kids, Clair Huxtable beautifully balanced being a full time lawyer with being a full time mom. She is always able to dispense wisdom to her children concerning life and love. Honestly, with her hard work, sass, and sense of fun, she probably is the one most similar to my own mother... which may explain why she steals the number one spot.
 
 
 
So there you have it. My favorite fictional mothers, astute readers will notice that I mentioned ten moms anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment