Friday, May 24, 2013

When You Reach Me, Newbery Winner 2010

This was my first book for the summer, and it was such an enjoyable read! Let me start off by letting everyone know that this summer I won't have nearly as many opportunities to read all day. Last year I had two desk jobs and this year I'm delightfully unemployed. I've graduated college and am preparing my transition into teaching. (One thing for certain though is that I will not be using these books in the classroom yet, I've gotten a job working with preschoolers!)
If anyone is considering reading this book I highly recommend reading A Wrinkle in Time first. Why? Well, first off, this book contains some major spoilers for that book and second, you might never grasp the total genius of this book without that one first.
All of the characters were so fully developed and wonderful, and they all tied together in a fashion that had to be carefully examined. The relationships that the characters had in this novel were authentic, with friendships fading and growing the same as they do in real life. Perhaps the best part of the book was how it could seamlessly be in so many genres at once, certainly 'contemporary' realistic fiction, but also mystery and science fiction. This is another novel I highly recommend, especially for readers that love to figure out how all the details fit together.

No comments:

Post a Comment