Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, Newbery Winner 1972

Going into this book I thought I knew very well what would happen to everyone throughout the story... I was incorrect. But that is because I was familiar with with the movie adaptation, which it turns out is a very loose adaptation.
There are about seven things on the poster alone that are inconsistent with the book.
 
First, if you've only seen the movie there is an underlying tone of mysticism and magic, something that certainly doesn't exist in the book. (Don't get me wrong though it is an excellent movie.)  The story in the book is very heavily founded in nature and science. The best part of the book is likely the descriptions of the experiments at NIMH, there is even a control group!
There is something about fictitious rodents that is endearing. Isn't it odd how so many people fear mice and rats, yet they so often appear in literature and film? It is almost as though we recognize that they possess some sort of intelligence and capacity for learning.
There is so much to admire in the book. The characterizations of Mrs. Frisby and the rats, the questions it raises about intelligence in both human and animals, and questions about how we should act towards our neighbors. I love it when a book makes you ask questions, that means that it is teaching you not what to think, but how.
 
*Fun fact, NIMH is the National Institute of Mental Health, a real place. I was very intrigued to learn this several years ago... I wonder how they feel about the book and movie. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment