Wednesday, June 5, 2013

It's Like This, Cat, Newbery Winner 1964

Three thoughts while reading this book:
1. No one I have ever met drags their cat around with them like a dog.
2. Wow, this book is dated by how much things cost.
3. Ah, it's finally fallen into a groove, time for it to... wait, what? This is the last page?

This book was fair, and a lot less boring than I thought at the beginning. It took me several days to want to go back to reading it, and even then I sort of plowed ahead with the intent of just ffinishing it quickly so I could choose something else. Then I finally found a story emerging, a plot at long last! Unfortunately this happened within the last 20 or so pages. Not much there to enjoy, especially considering that the book just ends. It feels like there should be a lot more tying up the story but instead you are left feeling that perhaps your book is missing several chapters. It does this throughout the book though, fight with best friend... never heard from again, gets girls number... what happens we'll never know, woman inherits fortune... well you get the idea. Overall, I didn't feel this was a particularly strong work especially compared to the books that won just a few years previously.

No comments:

Post a Comment