Wednesday, June 5, 2013

By the Decade...

In order to gauge my progress I looked at which decades I've read the most from... some interesting results.

1920s - 0, these books are by far the hardest for me to find, and though I had checked some out for reading I simply got too busy.

1930s - 3 reviewed: The Cat Who Went to Heaven, Caddie Woodlawn, and Dobry. Two of these books I liked and Dobry was boring. The others I simply haven't gotten around to yet.

1940s - 6 reviewed: Daniel Boone, Call It Courage, The Matchlock Gun, Johnny Tremain, Rabbit Hill, and King of the Wind. This is surprising, I didn't realize I was more than half done with the decade! The 40's have been a mixed bag, I loved Call It Courage and King of the Wind, but Daniel Boone and Johnny Tremain I could have lived without.

1950s - 0, that is also surprising, I didn't realize I hadn't read anything from the 50s.

1960s - 3 reviewed, Onion John, Island of the Blue Dolphins, and It's Like This, Cat.I thoroughly expected this number to be larger. Another mixed bag.

1970s - 5 reviewed: Sounder, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, Julie of the Wolves, Bridge to Terebithia, and The Westing Game. I really enjoyed all of the books from this decade.

1980s - 6 reviewed: A Gathering of Days; A Visit to William Blake's Inn; Dear Mr. Henshaw; Sarah, Plain and Tall; Whipping Boy; Joyful Noise. An interesting assortment, I see a trend here that short is good. Brevity must have been a thing in the 80s. Also two poetry books, two journal books, and a father - son double win.

1990s - 6 reviewed: Number the Stars, Maniac Magee, Missing May, The Giver, The View from Saturday, and Out of the Dust. Here are the ones from my childhood, and also many of the ones I enjoyed the most thus far.

2000s - 5 reviewed: Bud, Not Buddy; Crispin; The Tale of Despereaux; Kira-Kira; and Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! Here we have a batch that is truly beginning to show just how diverse children's literature can be. Far from being out of touch, I think that the Newbery Award is more in touch than ever before!

2010s -  1 reviewed: When You Reach Me. I'm excited to see how this decade works out!

No comments:

Post a Comment