Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The Door in the Wall, Newbery Winner 1950


This was such a wonderful book! I found it to be immensely enjoyable and favorable in its depictions of all characters. I particularly loved Brother Luke, though perhaps simply because I have met several brothers and always find them good company.
This book is likely by many to be compared to The Whipping Boy, a book I mentioned that I felt perhaps wasn't of great literary value. Indeed this work is scarcely 20 pages longer, covers the same general time, and is richly illustrated. But the story is so much stronger in my opinion. I cared about the characters and was genuinely sorry for their hardships. I was also worried for their safety, joyous in their celebration, and intrigued by their work.
The moral is much stronger in this story as well, and repeated many times to be sure that you have not missed it. What begins as a devastating blow to Robin ends up being his opportunity to save everyone. Though he is upset by his ailment in the beginning, he soon grows to find himself interested in finding new skills, which is a truly honorable attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment