Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Call It Courage, Newbery Winner 1941

This was an amazing read! I probably would never have picked up this book if it weren't for my goal of reading all the Newbery winners but Call It Courage by Armstrong Sperry has one of those timeless stories that rings with the excitement of another time and place.
There were several words and concepts in this tale that I was unfamiliar with, but I feel that I have expanded my knowledge of the South Pacific lifestyles simply by reading this short story. Now that doesn't make me an expert on any level, but it does give me a few reference points.
This story deal with facing our own personal fears, Mafatu fears the ocean and so strikes out to become worthy of his name 'Stout Heart'. It can be difficult to face our challenges head on, especially if they are something we live with everyday but this story brings hope and confidence in an exciting adventurous manner.
And, a last note as I'm skimming the reviews on Amazon, I feel that the content is entirely appropriate for children. Many seem to feel the term 'black' is applied inappropriately to the cannibals of the South Pacific and that makes the book racist and unsuitable for children. However, not all Pacific Islanders look like Hawaiians or Polynesians. One of the last remaining cannibalistic cultures of the 1900s (when the book was written) were the Korowai people of Papua. Look them up and decide for yourself if the author was within reason to describe them as 'black'. As for me, I think that this is a wonderful book that many children will enjoy. I can recommend it honestly, and without fear of 'tainting' the children's minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment