Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Dear Mr. Henshaw, Newbery Winner 1984

Another quick read. I spent an hour or so reading this one... And now it is super late at night but I'm on spring break sooooo... who cares!
This work is by the prolific Beverly Cleary, famous for her books about 'real kids'. If I'm being honest with myself I can't say that I'm a big fan of her work. I don't think I've ever re-read anything she wrote. That's a huge deal for me, re-reads make up more than half of my pleasure reading.
That being said, it's a good book. However, I found myself wishing that something amusing would happen. The book is a little gloomy, much like poor Leigh. But not every book can be written for the humor, still most books make me smile at least once. Ah well.

Another thing I noticed was that Leigh was in sixth grade. Jiminy Crickets, why is it always sixth grade when things go down? I actually feel that this is probably supported by life - my least favorite year ever was the year I was in sixth grade.

This book is a combination of letters and diary entries that track how Leigh begins to feel better simply by writing through all his problems. It is books like this that make me wish I had kept a journal. The para in the classroom I'm student-teaching has boxes of journals that she started keeping when she was around nine years old. I'm actually quite jealous of her. Anyway, this book works a little different than most, in that we actually have no ending to speak of, the little boy just keeps on doing what he has been doing.

As long as I'm here I might as well share with you the book I've been reading to the third graders:
This book is hilarious. I've been taking it from the classroom at lunchtime just so I can keep reading! I do wish there was time to read everyday though... That might re motivate the students. They were going to reproduce the contest in the book - a boys vs. girls no talking challenge. It might be interesting to see because we have quite the chatty batch.

Since it is spring break I hope I'll be able to post once more this week... we shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment