Thursday, January 22, 2015

What I Checked Out at the Library... and the Impressions They Give Me

I checked out a swath of books from the library this week, mostly Newbery Winners, but also one honor book and one... other book.

As I sit here trying to decide which to read next I must grapple with all my emotions concerning each - gathered primarily by, you guessed it, judging books by their covers!

First off the title - I'm put off by it, you see I don't like romances very much and this title is totally suggesting that to me. But the author has written another book that I enjoy (Bridge to Terbithia). So maybe it won't be a total wash. Speaking of wash, did that girl bathe in liquid gold? Why is she so shiny? Is she a ghost? Is that Nancy Drew? Maybe this book is a mystery... hmm, that trumps romance. Also - something about music. Perusing the copyright page I see mention of twins. Those two don't look like cousins, let alone sisters. (Unless of course goldilocks is dead.)

Oooooh the Caribbean! That looks like fun! flips book over New Hampshire? Soooooo, no Caribbean. I think I've heard this one is sorta dull. But it is also pretty short, one sitting - no problem. Inside pictures are cute and full of whimsey. 

No description on book. I'm immediately reminded of Dobry (not a good thing). Pictures by Maurice Sendak... but must be one of his earlier commissions, puts me in mind of a book he illustrated with a rabbit in it. Also, look a bird! Pelican?

I've read this one before. It is abridged or edited whatever you want to call it, due to some unfortunate racial issues. I agree since it's meant for kids and a complex historical discussion is not likely to accompany this fantasy. BUT - I personally want that fact stated at the beginning of the book, not the end.

I've also read this one, and must say that I really enjoy it. I kept putting it off so that I had something to look forward to when I reached the dregs. Thinking about acquiring one of the movie adaptations and doing a follow-up post on my previous Lights... Camera... Action!


An Honor book that I'm reading now because the sequel won the Award a few years later. How far from Chicago? Why are they in that little plane? Must be the 1920s.



No comments:

Post a Comment