Wednesday, February 17, 2016

The Sixth Round-Up



The sixth roundup! These things just keep getting farther and farther apart don't they? This round-up is special in a way that none of the others can be ever again. It has the oldest and the newest winners both! We're now about 2/3 of the way through this road-show so I'm going to see if I can keep it up. Because I'm an adult that sets myself a reading goal!

Crossover
This was quite easily the best book in this batch. Not only did I feel compelled to keep reading it once I'd started I felt compelled to share it with others once I had finished. It still seems a bit incomprehensible that this was a book about basketball written in verse. I have pre-order the author's next offering already and can't wait till it comes.

The Wheel on the School
I really enjoyed this simple little tale. After having recently complained at a book having no significant plot I find it amusing that I liked this one so much. Just children doing children things, but in a thoroughly enjoyable fashion. And of course project-based student-led learning.

Shiloh
I thought this book worked better as a moral quandary analysis than as a boy and his dog story. But, you know, it worked fairly well as the dog story too. I love animal books and this is a great addition to all the spectacular offerings in children's literature.

Last Stop on Market Street
A sweet little story that I really like as a book. I'm still not sold on the fact that it beat a couple of other books, but that's life.

The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle
A rousing adventure story. Though it shows its age sometimes it remains (with help) a fun story that I think children will still enjoy. I'm quite over the censoring that has been placed on this book because I really do believe that it makes it more appropriate for the intended audience of today.

The White Stag
A miniature epic. This short book has all the elements of the giant classic tomes that sit leather-bound on library shelves across the world. An interesting look at history, folklore, romance, and war, this book is sure to find many interested readers for quite some time.

Miss Hickory
Golly this book was weird. Still probably the weirdest thing I've read for this challenge and honestly the weirdness doesn't kick it into high gear until the very end. Pretty sure this is the only book I've ever read where the title character's head get eaten.

Thimble Summer
A simple story about simple times. But this book has little in the way of an overarching plot. Meh.

The Secret of the Andes
Free at last, free at last! Sorry but this little book has been taunting me for far too long.

The Story of Mankind
The oldest in the group whole shebang. This history tries to be comprehensive and fails but it was an interesting idea.

The entire countdown!

1.  A Wrinkle in Time
2. Number the Stars
3. Crispin: Cross of Lead
4. Island of the Blue Dolphins
5. Julie of the Wolves
6. Maniac Magee 
7. Bud, Not Buddy
8. King of the Wind
9. Out of the Dust
10. When You Reach Me

11. Crossover
12. The Tale of Despereaux
13. The Door in the Wall
14. Holes
15. Caddie Woodlawn
16. Kira-Kira
17. Sounder
18. Good Masters! Sweet Ladies!: Voices from a Medieval Village
19. The Giver
20. The Westing Game
21. Bridge to Terabithia
22. The View from Saturday
23. Sarah, Plain and Tall
24. Joyful Noise: Poems for Two Voices
25. Call It Courage

26. The Wheel on the School27. The Cat Who Went to Heaven
28. The One and Only Ivan
29. The Midwife's Apprentice
30. Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH
31. The Twenty-One Balloons
32. Onion John

33. Shiloh34. The Graveyard Book
35. The Summer of the Swans
36. Dear Mr. Henshaw
37. Missing May
38. Tales from Silver Lands

39. Last Stop on Market Street
40. Voyages of Doctor Dolittle
41. A Gathering of Days
42. The Whipping Boy

43. Shen of the Sea
44. Shadow of a Bull

45. The White Stag46. Rabbit Hill
47. Strawberry Girl
48. Flora and Ulysses

49. Miss Hickory
50. The Matchlock Gun
51. A Visit to William Blake's Inn

52. Thimble Summer
53. Young Fu of the Upper Yangtze
54. It's Like This, Cat
55. The Secret of the Andes
56. Up a Road Slowly
57. The Story of Mankind
58. Johnny Tremain
59. Dobry
60. Daniel Boone

No comments:

Post a Comment