Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Missing May, Newbery Winner 1993


First off I have been slacking. After Dobry and Daniel Boone I wasn't too keen on picking up the other two out-of-print Newbery winners. They sit, ignored, every night by my bed. So when I got a hold of Missing May I was quite eager to pick up the pace again.
This is another very short novel, less than 100 pages. But it is a very touching book, ranking right alongside Sarah, Plain and Tall in emotional value in such a short span. Let me first say that this is not the book for children looking for a plot-driven story. This story is very character driven, and there are really only four characters, one of whom has died. But even more than being a character driven story it is an examination of emotion. One emotion in particular: grief.
I'm not sure who will most understand the story, someone who has never experienced grief, someone currently experiencing grief, or someone who has experienced grief. I expect that the last category is the most appropriate, though that may be because it is simply where I fall.
In short, there isn't a lot to say about Missing May but there is plenty to feel. Go ahead and read it, it only takes a little more than an hour to get through, and the last several pages are enough to make anyone get a lump in their throat.

No comments:

Post a Comment