Tuesday, September 4, 2012

A Visit to William Blake's Inn, Newbery Winner 1982


Ummm... Well it was short. I don't know, when I think of poetry for children this isn't what really comes to mind. There is more than the usual amount of deep thinking that might be associated with a picture book. That isn't to say that I think all kids' poetry should be rhymed couplets with fanciful drawings, actually my favorite children's poets are Stevenson and Kipling.

Maybe if I had been familiar with William Blake's poetry I'd have enjoyed this more. Then again, maybe I was expecting something completely different from what I got. While the poems aren't bad, I really loved a couple of them, they just weren't outstanding. However, I feel the book has it's usefulness, it might work well in a unit about reading fluency. You really have to nail these poems for them to sound right, it took me a couple of tries on some of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment