Saturday, September 8, 2012

Good Masters! Sweet Ladies!: Voices from a Midieval Village, Newbery Winner 2008


I'd been led to believe that this book would be a real snore by the stories citing it as an example that the Newbery committee was out of touch and choosing books that children would never read. For what it is worth I loved it. This book lets you take a highly personal look at several children. None are incidental, I also found them to be telling a larger story that spans a long period of time. I always found it interesting when one monologue would refer back to another. There were also several stories where I would like to know what eventually happened, but, alas, I cannot. Perhaps for the best, since undoubtedly the hopes and dreams of the lower class would never be fulfilled, such was life for them.
Each monologue is written in a slightly different style, giving a wide variety of tastes something to chose from. I think that this would be a fun work to use in a classroom, like Shakespeare for the younger crowd. In any case, I'm sure that many readers will like the short 'story' format offered by each monologue, and there is something here for everyone romance, action, thievery, kindness, and more!

No comments:

Post a Comment