Friday, December 28, 2012

A Gathering of Days, Newbery Winner 1980


A book that reads like a diary can be very compelling. This one however was only so-so; while I enjoyed the book I never really had a strong desire to keep on reading just a little bit more. Certainly Joan Blos has captured the thought and spirit of a young girl in the 1830s but this girl is in the heart of a very uninteresting year. When I read historical fiction I prefer my characters to be within the action of the time, for instance the subplot with the runaway slave was interesting but such a tiny part of the story that I would quickly lose interest.
One thing I should note about the prose is that it by turns amused me and annoyed me. I laughed over how realistic some of the grammar and spelling choices were but then I would be conflicted about using it in a classroom for the same reason. Ah well, que sera,
Overall I liked this book, though it is definitely one I am fine with just having a single read. I was touched by how realistic Catherine was, but often bored by the mundaness of her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment