Saturday, December 22, 2012

Maniac Magee, Newbery Winner 1991

Yet another re-read for me this holiday season. The last time I read this was about 12 years ago, but I still remembered it quite vividly. Once again I stayed up late reading; the chapters average about 3 1/2 pages making 'just a couple more' stretch on all night!
This is a story about how a legend is created. And though Maniac himself has no trouble at all passing between the 'white' and 'black' parts of town, I'm still not sure that this book shows his legacy as bringing the two halves together. Perhaps my favorite character is Amanda Beale, I always did appreciate that she loved books. But she is also a no nonsense girl who really puts Maniac in his place and shows him what it means to be home. All in all this is a surprisingly simple story. Ah well, still a very good story and an interesting starting point for many discussions about race, family, and home.

Now if only Maniac would go to school.

1 comment: