Thursday, October 16, 2014

Paperboy, Newbery Honor 2014


An interesting book, and one I liked, to be sure... I'm just not sure that I have a whole lot to say about it. It was a great read into the thoughts of someone who stutters and it was set against the backdrop of the segregated South, which makes for some interesting moral discussions.

Our author is writing from the point of view of a boy who stutters, actually what we read is supposedly something that the main character is typing. Even though he finds talking difficult he still loves words, he thinks that perhaps he'll be a writer someday. But he hates commas and the book is accordingly sort on them; I also realized about a third of the way through that there were no quotation marks... Make of that what you will, but I didn't find that it affected readability in any way (then again, grammar/ punctuation has never been my strongest suit). He is in seventh grade but his thoughts read as though he were older, yet it still feels pretty natural.

As to the plot, it is centered around the fact that he is spending July filling in for his friends paper route. The collection happens on Friday, and each of the four Fridays is very eventful but things do happen on other days. Each person he meets working the paper route teaches him something: Mrs. Worthington, TV Boy, and, my personal favorite, Mr. Spiro.

I would say that the most noticeable downfall is the ending. This is one of those occasions where I wanted a teeny bit more closer... but I guess I'll have to live with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment