Thursday, October 30, 2014

Shadow of a Bull, Newbery Winner 1965


Well. WELL. Weeeeeelllllll. Well.
I can't think of much anything to say about this book. Easy read, check. Enjoyable, uh, check. But would I readily recommend it? Probably not.
There seems to be a large faction of people willing to decry this book for not denouncing the practice of bullfighting. It never really embraces it either, it simply relates the views of the characters. I would argue that we are encouraged to believe that Manolo makes the better choice in the end. This book isn't asking you to decide how you feel about bullfighting. (I'm pretty sure that most people will either already know how they feel or will quickly decide after reading a little bit.)

Is it gory? Heh, get it? Gory??? 
That joke was so bad that even Fozzie is ashamed of me.

Okay, lame joke. Anyway....

There isn't what I would consider an obnoxious amount of gore in this book, considering the subject. In fact, while it is mentioned that the bulls die at the end of a match, the bullfighters seem to get the brunt amount of written blood in this book.

In other news, how does the author with the longest name: Maia Wojciechowska (not even my pronunciation websites had any help to offer me with that one), manage to have one of the shortest and most boring Wikipedia entries? A moderate amount of internet digging only turns up one interesting story, but repeating it here would make me blush. I wasn't really interested enough to look more into it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment