Monday, February 4, 2019

Miracles on Maple Hill, Newbery Winner 1957


This book spoke to me on all my nerdy adult introvert levels. It involves moving to a remote town in New England (I assume Vermont, but cannot remember if it was explicitly stated), raising small livestock, exploring the woods, and making maple syrup! All of those are things I either currently want to do or have once wanted to do.

I blame Reading Rainbow for this one.

This is a fairly short story but it hits so many right notes. It addresses family separation when the father stays in the country while the mother and kids go back and forth to the city, parental anxieties on both low and high levels when the parents want to move to the country permanently and bring their ideas before the kids and also when the brother goes missing on a cold winter night, intergenerational friendships including friendships with the marginalized... like I said it hits so many notes! I really enjoyed this quick read and think it probably is among the top for a cozy winter read.

No comments:

Post a Comment