Friday, February 1, 2019

The Hero and the Crown, Newbery Winner 1985


I had actually typed up some lengthy run-through about the fantasy genre after I had first finished this book (in February 2017!), I couldn't really make heads or tails of where I was going with that particular except to say that high fantasy, though a popular genre with young people doesn't seem to frequently win the Newbery. Sorry past me, for deleting what I'm sure had the makings of a well thought out essay.

Past Katie is upset.

Remember when I once said that if a book was part of a series I would try to read at least the preceding books in the series? Well, chuck that right out the window because, as it turns out, this is book #2. A fact that was not conveyed to me by the cover of the book nor any of the brief blurbs that I read about it in Newbery lists. The FIRST TIME I saw #2 was on the Goodreads page when I logged my read. *Sigh.* That being said, you can totally skip the first book and still enjoy this one. Why? Because the sequel is actually a prequel! In fact, I still haven't read book one though I intend to... my research leads me to believe that this series is similar to Redwall in that everything can stand on its own fairly well. 

Anyhow, this book definitely fits the 'high fantasy' mold better than any of the other Newbery books I've read thus far - I mean look at it - there's a dragon on the front cover! Anyhow, this is one of those books I'd not heard of before beginning this little quest - despite the fact that fantasy is totally my jam. I'd love to gush about the intricate plot points that drew me in - but honestly this book needs a quick wikisearch from me.

Okay - so there was apparently romance (totally forgot about that), though I did remember the 'not-quite-mortal' stuff because it creeped me out a smidgen. Let's be honest though - I came for the dragon slaying. I'm all about dragons from either side of the mythos, just so long as the mythos has decided what it is doing with its dragons I'm good. I love them all - good, bad, and in-between - forget everything being better with penguins (still true) everything is better with dragons.

A solid story that I'd recommend to anyone who loves a rip-roaring fantasy - as long as they are able to navigate the sometimes dense language.

No comments:

Post a Comment