Friday, May 1, 2020

2018 Newbery Line-Up


Crown: An Ode to the Fresh Cut by Derrick Barnes is a fast read. Anyone looking to diversify their children's library would do well to pick it up. I thought it was lots of fun (as someone who does not really spend a lot of time on my hair). I think that once again the poetry is strong enough to hold up without the pictures but I they add so much! Such a fun tribute to a simple part of one's day - getting a haircut.

Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds was excellent. I had just discovered his work the previous year with the amazing book Ghost. I was so sad that Ghost didn't get a Newbery but luckily his next bit of work did! I really love the Track Series (and I generally hate sports books!) but this book takes things to a whole other level! Pun intended. Will is on an elevator fully intending to go shoot someone in revenge but the elevator keeps stopping and someone gets on at every floor. Each new passenger has a story and advice. Probably one of my top ten favorite author's of the decade I strongly recommend his work.

Piecing Me Together by Renée Watson was a great story about what it means to be an artist. Jade struggles with her self-image in many ways and wants very badly to fit in. She is hurt and angry at being included in a program for at-risk girls in her school and only consents in order to appease adults telling her about all the opportunities it will grant her. She feels that she was selected based solely on race but has trouble conveying this. In the end she connects with her mentor and, even though she loses out on some of the opportunities she dreamed of, is able to make her mark on the world in a deeply meaningful way.

Which brings us to....



Hello, Universe by Erin Entrada Kelly- Winner of the 2018 Newbery Award

A story of friendship and coming of age. But like the best of the genre (not Criss Cross) it brings us really interesting, fleshed-out characters overcoming interesting obstacles. A couple of the characters are too quirky (and I've had problems with that before) but better to be too quirky than utterly boring. The classic bully character seems really well-written and has enough humanity in him to be real. The diverse cast of characters comes together in a natural way without ever being defined solely by their diversity but definitely having it be a part of who they are. This book of the four probably fits the Newbery age range the best. 


Overall a really great year my favorite, Long Way Down, was probably aimed at slightly older readers, as was my next favorite, Piecing Me Together. These books really deserved their honors and I'd have been thrilled if they won but I can see why the committee went with the slightly safer option of Hello, Universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment