Sunday, May 10, 2020

I, Juan de Pareja; Newbery Winner 1966



I remember having to read this book at some point during middle school and not really reading it - because I was an awful student that never wanted to read assigned books. However, I also remember becoming interested in the artists we talked about in class. I still recall my fascination with Diego Velázquez and his dedication to realism and an interesting use of mirrors. We also had to do a creative writing project taking two paintings and writing a short story to explain them.

I can't be 100% certain, but this may have been one of my selections.
A Woman Seated at a Table Cutting a Slice of Cheese by Esaias Boursse

I mentioned before that Veláquez was fiercely devoted to realism in his paintings, or, as he called it, the truth. He strove to show things as they really were instead of prettying them up, as was the fashion of the time. Which brings us this portrait.
Yes, Juan de Pareja was a real person. As is true of many persons from so long ago only a bare outline of his life is known - but this portrait is so raw and detailed that we practically have a photograph of our subject that can shed some light. Elizabeth Borton de Treviño took what little was known and spun a historical narrative around it. Juan de Pareja was a slave that was inherited by Diego Velázquez and served him both at home and while traveling. Despite laws forbidding slaves from practicing the fine arts, Juan observes his master and learns to paint. Part of me loves the friendship between the two artists but another part of me is keenly aware that only basic lip service is given to the fact that Juan is a slave. His happiness can be uncomfortable - do I begrudge any person, even those in dire straits, happiness? Of course not, but it feels somehow disingenuous. We do know that Diego freed Juan and Juan continued to work for him - so there was obviously some level of admiration there, whether as friends or professionals we may never know. The author's note sheds a little light, her idealism stems from her hopes for the Civil Rights Movement. Overall, I'd recommend for anyone interested in art and most people interested in history.

No comments:

Post a Comment