Sunday, June 14, 2020

The Witch of Blackbird Pond, Newbery Winner 1959


This was assigned reading when I was in 6th grade. I didn't read it very thoroughly but I got the gist. Well, here I am for a complete reading and I must say - I found it enjoyable.
in the 1600s Katherine (Kit) grew up living a fairly privileged life in Barbados. When her grandfather dies she heads north to her only remaining family in Puritan New England.

These are hilarious and I didn't really have anywhere else to share them.

As one would expect she causes a stir but her aunt and uncle allow her to move in with them and her two cousins. She quickly catches the eye if a local boy and he commences to courting her. She also makes friends with a young girl with an extremely strict mother and a widow living alone in the swamp. This widow is Hannah, a Quaker who does not join worship services with the Puritan community.

Kit tries her best to fit in but has trouble adjusting to the stricter laws and practices of the Puritans. She is especially uneasy about the fact that the man courting her is building a house when she doesn't think she really wants to marry him.

When a horrible sickness strikes the community a mob forms to drive out 'the witch of Blackbird Pond' (Hannah) and Kit rushes to her aid, arriving just in time. Now that Hannah has been saved Kit finds herself the subject of suspicion and must decide how to protect herself and her family.

Overall a decent read with good history and interesting conflict. I would have like to see the characters beyond Kit fleshed out a little more - but in such a short book I understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment