Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Bridge to Terabithia, Newbery Medal 1978


This one I had heard before, but I'll admit I wasn't really paying attention when my fifth grade teacher read it to our class (I was likely reading something else). I was aware that Leslie died thanks to the Disney movie and having been to a theatre production. I really enjoyed some of the tough questions this book poses facing morality, mortality, spirituality, and growing up. I don't think I would have gotten the same ideas from this book as a child, it holds a magic of its own that makes you desire to create your own imaginary country. This book is written in such a skillful manner that you become very close with the protagonist, Jesse. While the book is written in third person, I was surprised each time I picked it up that it wasn't written in first person. I felt that it was Jesse's story and he was telling it, when, in reality, I was an outsider looking over everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment