Friday, January 6, 2012

The Heavy Medals I'll Be Working With...

I am a voracious reader, and my reading level was extra high as a child. Yet, as an adult, I still prefer children and young adults' literature. However, this works to my advantage when I talk to kids because I'm reading what they're reading, I know just what the shelves they peruse at the library hold, and I can suggest books based on what I've already read.
But for all that I've read and enjoyed I seem to be missing a few important books: medal winners. I can't really hope to teach elementary without having read what has been deemed the cream of the crop. So here are the stats:

Newbery Award Winner: 8 previously read (ouch, I have a lot of catching up to do seeing as this medal started in 1922)

Newbery Honorees: 11 previously read (that's even worse than the first statistic seeing as some years have four or five honor books)

Carnegie Medal: 2 previously read (I just looked that one up, seems I have a busy year of reading ahead of me!)

Caldecott Award Winner: 14 previously read (but lots more that I feel like I may have read at some point...)

Caldecott Honorees: 15 previously read

.... So as you can tell I'm a little behind. I'd like to do the Newbery Winners first, then follow up with the Carnegie Winners. I'm not sure which category I'll move onto afterwards. Also, do not expect any sort of chronologically order, I will read the books as I acquire them. Here's to a great year! (How many do you think I'll get through?)

No comments:

Post a Comment