Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The Twenty-One Balloons, Newbery Winner 1948


This book seemed one that I would not enjoy, I put it of again and again. But finding myself in a very motivated mood I picked it up and... Oh my goodness! This book is so good! I found it to be a charming tale with ingenious inventions. Professor Sherman Williams finds himself on the island of Krakatoa in 1883 after a failed attempt at living in a balloon house for a year.

For those of you unfamiliar with history let me show you an artist's interpretation of Krakatoa's claim to fame.
BOOM!

Alright, maybe the explosion wasn't THAT big. But it was enormous. Pompei? Child's play. Mount Saint Helens? Puh-leze. This was a volcanic explosion everyone knew about, mostly because you could hear it 1,930 miles away. That is like Old Faithful exploding and people in New York City hearing it - plus another 40 miles into the ocean!

So you can see that this story has an exciting climax, am-I-right? 

Oh, there is also a diamond mine filled to overflowing, lots of gourmet food, a system of government unlike anything you've ever seen, and (do I even need to mention it?) lots of balloons.

No comments:

Post a Comment