Wednesday, January 20, 2021

The 1950s... A Look Back


Now we should look at the 1950s. Once again a couple of the more famous titles are here. The Witch of Blackbird Pond was a book we read when I was in school.  I have seen The Door in the Wall and Ginger Pye at book fairs in the last few years...

Books that I read longer ago I may wish to give a different number of stars to because in the early days I had a tendency to give books 5 stars no matter if I liked them or adored them. This decade in particular has a couple that the placement will confuse you.

This decade is very divided - there are no books I feel only half-way about.

....And Now Miguel (1954) - 5 Stars - One of the most surprising books in the entire history of the Newbery. It doesn't look all that exciting at first glance - but it is absolutely one of the best depictions of family in literature.

The Door in the Wall (1950) - 5 Stars - One of my first Medieval England books and we know how I feel about those! It is short and well-illustrated, probably one of the best Newberys for early readers. The strong story and enjoyable characters really elevate this one.

Miracles on Maple Hill (1957) - 5 Stars - I have a hard-time remembering how old this one is, it reads more like the seventies or eighties. This one feels like a good Christmastime read, evoking a lovely New England winter for much of the story.

Carry On Mr. Bowditch (1956) - 4 Stars - This book just speaks to my nerdy little heart. I've been on a non-fiction kick the past year and this one sort of fit right in, even though it is an obviously fictionalized account of a real person.

The Wheel on the School (1955) - 5 Stars - I'm inclined to think this is more of a 4 star book. I liked it quite a lot but cannot recall a lot of the details. Definitely requires a re-read from me!

The Witch of Blackbird Pond (1959) - 4 Stars - Better than the first time I read it in 6th grade. I didn't much care for this book when I was young but now I really liked it. Not sure if it is because I'm more mature, have more background knowledge, or simply wasn't having to read it for school.

Ginger Pye (1952) - 2 Stars - And, just like that, we've reached the books I don't much care for. I maintain that this book, while decently written, was among the most boring of the lot.

The Secret of the Andes (1953) - 2 Stars - Another real snoozer - which is disappointing because I WANTED to like this one so bad. This is probably the biggest disappointment for the entire shebang.

Rifles for Watie (1958) - 1 Star - This one was also very, very boring.

Amos Fortune, Free Man (1951) - 3 Stars - If you're confused by the low ranking despite having a higher star count then you're not alone. Not a bad book by any means, well-written, enjoyable story, nice characters... but it has a way of softening the reality of slavery in the US. Slavery shouldn't be softened - surely there was a way to tell this story without gliding over the darker moments.


Recommendation of the Decade

The Door in the Wall - though not my favorite from the decade, is easily the one I'd most like to recommend. ...And Now Miguel while my favorite is probably not a real catchy book for the kids. This book is short and so well written and enjoyable that it makes it the perfect jumping off point.

No comments:

Post a Comment