Friday, January 22, 2021

The 1970s... A look back

Here we are in the 1970s!  This is THE decade - almost all of these books have achieved super star status. If you have even a passing familiarity with children's literature you know these books. When I look at the list as a whole the only decade that even comes close is the 90s (which may be a personal bias since that is when I grew up...

*Okay, because I'm a little bit crazy I used Goodreads to determine how popular each book is. I made a table showing how many times each book had been rated and them ordered the list top to bottom. Obviously newer books have a slight edge based on the average website user and the fact that if it is newer you likely read it either during the lifespan of the website or closer to your first log-in. Sixteen books have more than 100,000 ratings. Of those sixteen the most represented decade is the 1990s (5 books) and the second is the 1970s (4 books). (Bridge to Terebithia, The Westing Game, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, and Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry)

Books that I read longer ago I may wish to give a different number of stars to because in the early days I had a tendency to give books 5 stars no matter if I liked them or adored them.

Overall, an above average decade full of the classics! 

Julie of the Wolves (1973) - 5 Stars - I'm older and hopefully wiser now. I've been led to some research pointing out factual errors in this book that are a little more disappointing now that I've lived in northern Alaska. Saved mostly by the fact that since it is a survival story so rather than exploring a culture we are seeing an individual.

The Grey King (1976) - 4 Stars - A great foray into Welsh folklore. Among the better books in the series I felt that this is where Cooper finally made the main character worthwhile.

Sounder (1970) - 4 Stars - One of the most serious offerings on the list. I'd be more inclined to offer this book to adults than children.

The Westing Game (1979) - 4 Stars - A mystery that had some twists that actually got me! Children's mysteries can be hard to pull off but this one easily rises to the top of its genre.

Bridge to Terebithia (1978) - 4 Stars - A classic that really cements the idea of 'Death by Newbery Medal'.

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry (1977) - 5 Stars - This book is often found on 'best of' lists and with good reason. The Logan family is so heart-breakingly real you spend the entire book begging the author to let them all make it through.

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH (1972) - 4 Stars - This book is very different from the movie, if that is your only exposure then you should really tuck in to this book. One of those books that makes you ask yourself tough questions.

The Summer of the Swans (1971) - 4 Stars - This is a book I was nervous to read considering the subject matter but really found myself enjoying. Even if the title in no way delivers.

The Slave Dancer (1974) - 4 Stars - Pushes about as far as a book for children can push in exploring the horror of slavery. The very existence of this book makes it more frustrating to read Amos Fortune or I, Juan since it does not give everything a happy ending. I'd argue that the ending is the biggest downer in the Newbery line-up.

M.C. Higgins, the Great (1975) - 2 Stars - The only book from the decade that doesn't hold much in the way of reread value for me. What could have been an interesting time and place to explore just feels like so many missed opportunities.


Recommendation of the Decade


This was the hardest choice yet, not for lack of choice as with the 1930s, but because there were so many choices. In the end I narrowed it down to my two middle of the pack choices. I think Bridge to Terebithia is the better choice for the casual reader because you do not need to bring any background knowledge with you to this book. This coming-of-age story perfectly encapsulates what it means to be friends, the pain of not fitting in, and the shock of loss. While most of the books for this decade are good reads this is the one I would say most truly defines great children's literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment