Sunday, January 24, 2021

The 1980s... A Look Back


We've reached the 1980s!  I must say that, though I had heard of a few of these only one really comes close to the superstar status achieved by the previous decade.

Books that I read longer ago I may wish to give a different number of stars to because in the early days I had a tendency to give books 5 stars no matter if I liked them or adored them.

Overall a pretty bleh decade - there was a heaping helping of angst and I'm not down with that.

Sarah, Plain and Tall (1986) - 4 Stars - A pleasant little love story. Perhaps an odd choice as a Newbery but nice none-the-less. I find it a bit predictable but imagine it is less predictable to children.

Joyful Noise: Poems for Two Voices (1989) - 4 Stars - This is a great read aloud - in fact I'd say that is really the only way to enjoy it properly. After all it is for TWO voices. This makes it both a great choice and an odd choice for an award. Great because it was experimental with pushing the boundaries of children's literature; odd because it isn't really a book kids can just sit with and enjoy.

The Hero and the Crown (1985) - 5 Stars - I would give this 4 stars now. Again I find that I don't remember a whole lot except for the complete and utter creepiness of immortality.

Dear Mr. Henshaw (1984) - 3 Stars - I'm not not a big fan of Beverly Cleary, nor a fan of gloomier works. The writing and theming of this book were fine, but not enough to have me clambering for more.

Jacob Have I Loved (1981) - 4 Stars - This one is the poster child for Newberry angst. The writing is really-really good (hence four stars) actual enjoyment of this book is definitely 3 Star. I have a film of this book that I'm interest to give a try.

A Gathering of Days (1980) - 3 Stars - A really well-written and researched diary style historical fiction. Unfortunately it is part of the most average year imaginable. I feel like Joan Blos could have really grabbed me if the historic backdrop was more interesting.

The Whipping Boy (1987) - 3 Stars - One of the books undoubtably geared toward the younger end of the target age range for the Newbery. Sort of fun, but I think has a fairly limited field of kids that are really going to enjoy it.

Dicey's Song (1983) - 3 Stars - Another angsty one - though possibly the least frustratingly so. I can understand Dicey's angst more than the others- I just don't particularly care to read it. However, I can see how this might be an important book for teens dealing with hard issues in their own life.

A Visit to William Blake's Inn (1982) - 3 Stars - This is obviously a children's book. Short, fancifully colored, and basically geared towards kids... I just don't know why. The author is very talented (and prolific) I understand writing this book for kids but it is so niche I just don't understand how the committee selected it as a winner. After a quick glance at the other books published in 1981 two titles immediately jump out as having more kid-appeal: Ramona Quimby, Age 8 and A Light in the Attic.

Lincoln, a Photobiography (1988) - 2 Stars - The most outright biography in the entire line-up. The book is well-researched and decently written. Problem is Abraham Lincoln is the most written about president and likely American. I felt like I was reading an exceptionally well written research paper, but then, I'm an adult. If this was my introduction to Lincoln it probably would have been more interesting.

Recommendation of the Decade


No contest here. Sarah, Plain and Tall is not only my favorite from the decade but easily the most popular. Outside of this book and Jacob Have I Loved, the other options are much more niche and not really what I would consider timeless literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment