Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Daniel Boone, Newbery Winner 1940

Where do I even begin with this one? I'd been dreading reading this book, because it was an old biography, in the world of children's literature that is not a good thing. Another out-of-print Newbery winner and with good reason. It is racially charged, gruesomely graphic, and sappy. But above all those, I think that the reason this one's no longer in print is that it's boring as tar.I know, perhaps I'm not fully enjoying the experience because I'm too old or too young; I'm too modern or I've seen my own wilderness; on and on and on...
Nope. This book is boring. There really isn't much else too say, I found everything in this book to be historically sound (race relations included) and even learned a lot about Daniel Boone, the man did some fascinating stuff. But this book makes a trek into unknown wilderness about as dry as uncooked oatmeal. I believe that if the book was more interesting it would still be published today; we all know that settlers didn't get along with Indians, it's okay to write that stuff into historical fiction (that's be the historical part).
Perhaps the worst part was that I found myself not caring about what Daniel Boone was doing most of the time. I wanted very much to follow along and hear the stories of several of the side characters though: George Washington, Tom Lincoln, Lewis and Clark, his wife, his daughter, James Audubon, anyone really.
In the end this book was just as big a bust as I expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment