Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Onion John, Newbery Winner 1960

Oh boy. This is one of those reviews that is going to twist back on itself several times. Much like my opinion of Onion John by Joseph Krumgold.
I didn't like this book, then I did. The book drug on too long, then it was over too quickly. I felt no connection to the characters, then I cried and rejoiced for them.
Onion John was a mere 250 pages yet took me the better part of a week to read. Why? Well, the first 150 pages or so are simply boring. Even by adult standards. There is excellent character development, the plot is well laid, and the setting is impeccably described. The book is quite good, I just didn't like it.
Then the story finally kicks it into high gear, you discover that you care about these characters, everything that has been told to you was laid out for a reason. The book wouldn't be the same without the tedious beginning.
Once Andy begins his growth from boy into adolescent, you really become invested in his plight and that of his friend, Onion John. This book explores something that few children's books ever do, the old proverb 'the road to Hell is paved with good intentions'. Generally in children's lit you find that goodness is rewarded either by happiness or intrinsically. But there are times in life when good intentions go horribly awry, a fact laid out clearly in this book by the town building Onion John a house to bring him up to date.
Onion John's plight mirrors that of Andy, Andy's father refuses to take his son's thoughts seriously and has planned a great future for him. It is only at the last desperate moment that his relationship with his father is restored, but at a cost.
The last 50 or so pages really raised the book into better standing with me. It was here that I hoped the author would spend just a little more time, especially the last chapter which is a touching father and son moment that could reach for the top ten.
I know some of my friends have had plans all laid out for their lives ever since we were young. Some even let their parents do the true planning. This book really drives home how lucky I was to not only make my own plans, but to not really be tied down by them at any one point. My parent's have always happily supported my ideas for the future and helped me along, but they were never too put off by a change in the plans either. The only thing they ever insisted was that I stick to my learning and get the best education possible; then, as the book says, 'you can go anywhere you choose'.
One last thought, this book contained so many layers, just like an onion. Did the author do that on purpose I wonder? Nothing in the book was accidental, even when it felt as though the author was just throwing it in for no reason. The characters were developed slowly and without much fanfare (til the end). And the final pages were sweet and savory, even though the beginning was hard and bitter. To paraphrase one of my most detested movies of all time:
Shrek: Layers. Onions have layers. Ogres have Onion John has layers. Onions have layers. You get it? They both have layers. 
Donkey: Oh, they both have LAYERS. Oh. You know, not everybody like onions. What about cake? Everybody loves cake!
Shrek: I don't care what everyone else likes! Ogres are Onion John is not like cake.


So there.

No comments:

Post a Comment